Cape Coral was founded in 1957 when two real-estate developers, Leonard and Jack Rosen, purchased a 100-square-mile plus tract of land with a small group of partners. The land was then known as Redfish point. After creating many miles of canals, the land was transformed into Cape Coral. The brothers created the Gulf American Land Corporation and began to market the land as a master-planned community and waterfront wonderland.
The first four homes were completed in May of 1958. Early development occurred primarily south of Cape Coral Parkway.
The city’s first bridge to Fort Myers, the Cape Coral bridge, was opened in 1964.
The City of Cape Coral was incorporated in 1970.
To learn more about Cape Coral’s history, we invite you to visit the Cape Coral Historical Museum.
The building that houses the museum was originally the snack bar and pro shop at the city’s first Country Club. The building was moved to its current site in 1983.
Address: 544 Cultural Park Blvd., Cape Coral, FL 33990